Monday, March 24, 2014

Kim Coles Comes to Campus

Frankie Rosso
Managing Editor

    Have you ever had that “OMG moment” in your life; where you cannot believe that an opportunity
has been granted to you? I had that moment when I met and interviewed Kim Coles on March 18th. She lit up the room with her grace and wonderful sense of humor as she lectured about some of her experiences. “I’m a comedian, it’s what I do!” she said.

    Coles came to Central Campus as a speaker in honor of Women’s History month; providing messages of self-worth, finding your true identity, self-acceptance, and her journey through the world of television.

    “I love to inspire and teach others through my own real world experiences. It gives me great joy to be with you all,” Coles said as the program began.

    Born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, Coles is an American actress and comedian, best known for her starring role as Synclaire James on the Fox television series, Living Single. She also starred in Frasier and In Living Color, made guest appearances on The View, The Talk, and Dr. Oz Show, and even hosted her own show on the OWN Network called Are You Normal America? She’s also the author of two publications: I'm Free but It'll Cost You and most recently, Gratitude Journal.

    Coles spoke about the importance of loving yourself and being comfortable in your own skin. Her lecture provided insight about what it’s like to be an African American female performer and some of the struggles she faced throughout.

    “I’ll never forget the time I was on the Red Carpet looking fabulous, and I had $27 to my name.” said Coles.

    She stressed the importance of saving money and being a “responsible spender”. As students, we often fail to take into account the responsibility of money and saving to build a better future. We rather spend now and save later, and Coles’ message proved that lacking funds not only makes life harder but devastating. She shared about her experiences when she underwent a depression and her breakthrough. Her book highlights the “gratitude” she displayed though her breakthrough.

    “In my book Gratitude Journal, I wanted to promote positivity. If I can change just one life, I’m satisfied, “ said Coles.

    I felt inspired by her words and moved by her motivation and determination to succeed despite the obstacles she faced. I’m humbled to know that she was such a people person and spoke to us as if she’s known us forever.

    “I thought the event was dope. I think a lot of people needed to hear the message she came with. I was very moved. I especially enjoyed her book and even gave it my girlfriend,” said Music Technology major, Jahfar Campbell.

    Cole’s lecture was comedic, inspiring, diverse, and informative and left students with a lasting impression that TV celebs are people too. Inspiring others and changing lives one student at a time, the event was an overall success.

No comments:

Post a Comment