Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Country Woodstock

Carissa Perry-Smith
Staff Writer


    It was a day full of drinking, music, and sunshine on Sunday Jan. 26. That morning, at C.B. Smith Park, Kiss Country radio station hosted their 29th annual Chili Cookoff. Chili Cookoff is a country-music festival where people from all over South Florida come to attend. According to www.southflorida.com, Wkis midday host, Darlene Evans said, Chili Cookoff is the largest country-music festival in the Southeastern part of the United States.

    With everyone dressed in their best country attire, people arrived at 1 a.m. to socialize, barbeque, eat chili, and drink beer. Being my first year at the Cookoff I wanted to experience the whole ordeal. I arrived at the park around 3 a.m. to tailgate and hang out with friends. The atmosphere was not at all what I anticipated. American and Confederate flags were plastered everywhere, beer cans were thrown all over the place, and country music was blaring from trucks. These are only a few words in my attempts to describe what the parking lot really looked like that morning. My friends, who are “veterans” to Chili Cookoff became very clever this year. For the aftermath of the 6 hours of tailgating we endured; they set up a tent with blowup beds to nap before the concert.

    After the drinking and the puking died down a bit, 8:30 a.m. came around and the real fun began. Once the concert gates opened, people raced to set out their chairs and towels to get the best spot in front of the stage.

    The line-up at this year’s Cookoff consisted of Cassadee Pope, Thomas Rhett, Joe Nichols, Brantley Gilbert, and headliner Rascal Flatts. Some songs played were Wasting all these tears (Pope), Get me some of that (Rhett), and What hurts the most (Rascal Flatts).

    “I was definitely pleased with the line-up this year. I would have wanted more popular artists to attend but it was still everything I hoped it would be”, BC student Dominique Brito said.

    It was a different kind of experience for me. I enjoyed the music to say the least; my favorite act was Brantley Gilbert. His performance really got everyone moving and on their feet. However, with the hot sun beating down, it was really the energetic atmosphere that kept me going. Everyone was cramped together on the lawn sitting on their towels and chairs. There was no moving room, people had to push their way in and out. However, once settled, people danced, sang, and made new friends.
    Although there were thousands of people in attendance, most which had been heavily drinking throughout the day, not once did I feel unsafe. I felt completely safe in the environment that surrounded me. Everyone there was extremely friendly. Where my friends and I sat we immediately made friends with the people around us. People were there to enjoy the concert not start trouble.

    Second time Chili Cookoff attender, Macy Jarvis said, “Even though this year wasn’t as entertaining , music-wise, for me, being in the lively atmosphere I still had a great time.”

    Being my first time at Chili Cookoff I really enjoyed myself. I definitely plan to attend every year. For people who have never attend, I think everyone should at least experience it once. It’s something that you do not want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment